The Printing Room Museum Click to view Photo Gallery

 

The Printing Room Museum is located on the ground floor of Our Mother of Sorrows Chapel at Providence Manor. The Sisters of Providence opened the printing room in 1897 and continued to own and operate it until 1989. The printing room remained unused for ten years before being restored and reopened as a museum in 1999. Over the course of its history the printing room produced two magazines, congregational materials, and commercial work such as dental charts, business cards, invitations, etc.

Access

The Printing Room Museum is open to the general public, Sisters and Associates by appointment. To arrange a tour of the Printing Room Museum contact the Archivist at Providence Motherhouse 613-544-4525,ext 147 or archives@providence.ca

In 1893 the Sisters of Providence saw the need for a printing office to ¬produce such congregational material as circulars, obituary notices, ¬periodicals and small books in a manner that would “combine durability with cheapness.” In 1897 approval was given by the Council to set up a printing department.
View full article »

To view an issue of The Guardian click on the picture above.

The Guardian was a children’s magazine published monthly by the Sisters of Providence from 1916 to the late 1950s. The Guardian was distributed widely in schools throughout the Archdiocese of Kingston and beyond. Proceeds from the sale of the magazine helped support St. Mary’s of the Lake Orphanage. In 1919 a year’s subscription cost 25 cents, increasing over the years to 50 cents in 1954.
View full article »