Sister of Providence Sheila Langton, 2nd from left, was among the dignitaries who unveiled a sign at the site of the new Providence Care Hospital. She’s accompanied by MPP John Gerretsen, Wynn Turner, Chair SE LHIN, Glen Wood, Chair, and Dale Kenney, CEO, both from Providence Care.
By Christine Ross
A century plus legacy of health care built from the ground up by the fledgling congregation Sisters of Providence in the 1800’s, was remembered as Providence Care unveiled the sign for its new hospital during a special ceremony in September.
The new 270-bed hospital to be built on the existing mental health services King Street West site, will provide a caring environment for patients and clients and a modern, improved work environment for physicians, staff and volunteers.
There was a major change in the Sisters’ healthcare ministry in 2006, when the congregation transferred canonical sponsorship for Providence Care to the Catholic Health Corporation of Ontario (CHCO). Sister of Providence Sheila Langton continues to represent her community serving on both the Board of Directors of Providence Care, as a Designate of CHCO and as past Chair on the Board of Directors of CHCO.
“We really are living through an historic event with the building of the new Providence Hospital,” said Sr. Sheila.
She joined other dignitaries at the September 14th sign unveiling, which included remarks by John Gerretsen, MPP for Kingston and the Islands.“Today, we celebrate a sign of things to come for health in Kingston. This symbolic sign demonstrates the government’s commitment to improving and expanding health services we rely on, close to home, friends and family.”
Providence Care received six proposals to design, build, finance and maintain the new facility. Three businesses have been selected to enter the competition and the award will likely be announced by the fall of 2013.