On October 1, a bronze monument was unveiled in Regina’s Wascana Park in front of more than 500 guests and dignitaries. Those guests included Canada’s papal nuncio, the bishops of Saskatchewan, officials from Catholic health and education, and representatives of the founding religious orders in the province. In their midst were Sisters of Providence leadership team members Sandra Shannon and Diane Brennen.
The monument, “Called to Serve,” commemorates pioneering religious women who established hospitals and schools in Saskatchewan starting in 1860, thus laying the foundation for modern day education and health care institutions across the province. The monument features two Catholic Sisters, one representing a teacher, the other a nurse.
Indeed, the monument committee writes: Some 5,500 Catholic Sisters have served in the province, totalling over 85,000 Sister-years of ministry. The monument will be a lasting tribute to their legacy and their selfless service to the people of Saskatchewan.
Saskatchewan Catholic Connections organized the unveiling and the monument by sculptor Jack Jensen of Prince Albert.