Providence Pages Summer 2017
In this issue:
- Jubilarians celebrating 50, 60 and 70 years of religious life
- Formation of a new school for transformative leadership and spirituality
- Positive interfaith dialogue
- Worship spaces inside the new Providence Care Hospital
- Sisters of Providence at the time of Canada's confederation
- Marillac Mission in Peru
- Sister Monica Whalen's career helping vulnerable and at-risk students
- Returning of heirloom seeds to indigenous communities that originally cultivated them
- The obituary of Sister Julia Hamilton
- Spirituality series and retreats for September, October and November
- July 31, 2017
- Sister Monica Whalen's career in helping vulnerable and at-risk students
Sister Monica Whalen has spent her career as an educator helping vulnerable and at-risk youth to reach their highest academic potential.
- July 26, 2017
- Marillac Mission helping those in need with support from Associates in Peru
November 23, 2016 Sister Diane Brennen and Sister Gayle Desarmia left Kingston for a two-week visit with the Sisters and Associates in Peru. Besides spending time with both the Sisters and Associates, they had the opportunity to see the Marillac Mission Fund at work.
- July 14, 2017
- 'To build a home': The Sisters of Providence at the time of Canada's confederation
The Archives is celebrating Canada’s 150th birthday by reflecting on what life was like for the Sisters of Providence in 1867.
- July 24, 2017
- Worship spaces at Providence Care Hospital
The wide-open glass doors of the Worship Centre in the new Providence Care Hospital beckon all to come in. As people enter the space for the first time and take in the view of Lake Ontario, the outdoor labyrinth and the gardens, many are heard saying, “Oh wow, this is so peaceful!”
- July 19, 2017
- Positive interfaith dialogue important
Annual conference emphasizes importance of positive interfaith dialogue in spiritual practice.
- July 21, 2017
- Legacy gift honours Sisters in education
In the words of Sister Sandra Shannon, the Sisters of Providence of St. Vincent de Paul have strong connections to teaching.
- July 17, 2017
- Congratulations Jubilarians for over 370 years of combined religious life!
Six Sisters of Providence celebrate 50, 60 and 70 years of religious life. As part of the celebration, Sister Sandra Shannon, as the current General Superior, gave an address to the Jubilarians which was followed by a response from this years Jubilarians.
- June 21, 2017
- Return of heirloom seeds to indigenous communities that originally cultivated them
I was recently asked to participate in a working group called the Community Seed Network, which is a collective of seed savers from across North America who are engaged in sharing seeds rather than selling them.