Sisters of Providence of St. Vincent de Paul Motherhouse
INTERNAL/EXTERNAL JOB POSTING
Position Title: Personal Support Worker
Job Type: Part-time
Location: Providence Motherhouse, 1200 Princess Street, Kingston, Ontario
Work schedule: 8 & 12-hour shifts, weekdays/weekends
Available Positions: 1
Union/Bargaining Unit: LiUNA 3000
Compensation: $24.36 – $ 25.96/hour (2023)
Under the direction of the Registered Practical Nurse (RPN) the Personal Support Worker provides personal care to the Sisters and reports any changes/concerns in their well-being to the registered nursing staff.
About the Sisters of Providence of St. Vincent de Paul and the Providence Motherhouse
The Sisters of Providence of St. Vincent de Paul are a congregation of Roman Catholic women founded in Kingston, Ontario on December 13, 1861. Providence Motherhouse at 1200 Princess Street is the home of the Sisters of Providence of St. Vincent de Paul and the administrative centre for the congregation and its ministries. It is also a home to members of the Congregation of Notre Dame and the Religious Hospitallers of St. Joseph.
Providence Motherhouse Staff Mission Statement
We, the staff of Providence Motherhouse, are inspired by the compassion, courage and trust in Providence of the original founders of the congregation and we identify with their spirit and values.
We commit ourselves in collaboration with the Sisters of Providence, to meet the challenge of the workplace by sharing our experience, skills and education.
We strive to maintain a safe, homelike environment as a cooperative team bonded in mutual respect and support.
We treasure the high esteem the Kingston community has for the Sisters and their ministries and we commit ourselves to maintain this reputation with pride.
History and innovation thrive in our dynamic city located along the beautiful shores of Lake Ontario, an easy drive from Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal, in the heart of eastern Ontario. With a stable and diversified economy that includes global corporations, innovative startups and all levels of government, Kingston’s high quality of life offers access to world-class education and research institutions, advanced healthcare facilities, affordable living and vibrant entertainment and tourism activities.
What We Offer:
- High ratio of staff to residents/Sisters
- 8 & 12-hour shifts that promote work/life balance
- Opportunities for professional growth
- Competitive wage and benefit package
- Free parking
- The employee will provide appropriate personal care within the scope of a personal support worker and inform the Sister of social activities, appointments, Mass, bath times and encourages participation in social activities and special events.
- Informs the Sisters that she is caring for them and will keep them informed of social activities, appointments, Mass, bath times and encourages participation in social activities and special events.
- Perform safety checks hourly or more frequently if required for the Sisters safety.
- Will work together with coworkers as a team and will answer all call bells promptly, and provide any care required.
- Instill eye drops/ointments, treatment creams after completing an education program and a successful return demonstration on safe and proper techniques.
- Utilize quiet time appropriately, by ambulating, visiting and/or reading to the Sisters, etc.
- Accompany Sisters to outside appointments if required and as requested.
- Keep updated on any changes in care or the condition of a Sisters health by reading the Inter-shift communication sheets.
- Listen to reports, accepts assignment and clarifies any questions regarding care with the Nurse in Charge.
- Utilize effective communication skills and allows the Sisters to be involved in their care decisions when possible and where appropriate.
- Personal Support Worker Certificate from an accredited school.
- One year of professional nursing experience within a Geriatric or Rehabilitation setting preferred.
- Current CPR and First Aid certification.
- Vulnerable Sector Check (level 3), copies will not be accepted.
- Proof of Enhanced Vaccination, including any booster dose(s).
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume (PDF format) to HR@providence.ca and indicate ‘Personal Support Worker’ – Ref. ID: 2023-26 in the subject line.
Employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of being eligible for the recruitment process. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination will be required.
We thank all interested applicants, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.