The Sisters of Providence of St. Vincent de Paul served in Athabasca, Alberta from 1948 to 1964.
Holy Rosary Academy (1948-1952)
Rosary Academy was opened in 1948 by the Sisters of Providence of St. Vincent de Paul as a hostel for girls from the county who were attending school in Athabasca. The hostel operated until 1952 when it was closed as the need for such an organization diminished. The Sisters also taught catechism classes during the summer months and carried out parish work at St. Gabriel’s Parish.
Sr. Mary Dolores King, Sr. Mary Patricia Bradden and Sr. Mary Martin Coyne with the first group of girls at Rosary Academy, Athabasca in 1948. (SPSVP 201.3.1-1).
St. Vincent de Paul Home (1952-1964)
With the closing of Holy Rosary Hall, Athabasca AB in1952, the Sisters of Providence of St. Vincent de Paul were asked to operate a residence for the elderly at the old Municipal Hospital. The Sisters received their first resident on September 15, 1952 and saw the last one leave in June 1964 when the home closed its doors. The Sisters continued their ministry at St. Gabriel’s Parish until the closure of St. Vincent de Paul Home.