Sister Mary Benedict
1874 - 1957
Sister Mary Benedict died quite suddenly on Sunday evening, August 11, during the annual retreat. Sister had complained of not feeling well and took a light supper only. While preparing for bed, the Sister Infirmarian noticed her slumping in her chair and called at once for assistance. The retreat master was then summoned, but scarcely reached her in time, as it was only a matter of minutes until she was in eternity. Father gave her the benefit of the last anointing. Father Devine was present and Father Brown, S.J. who was also here gave Benediction, as it was then just 7:30.
Sister M. Benedict, formerly Catherine Boylan, was born in St. Rock’s Quebec. In 1891 she entered the Providence Novitiate, Kingston, and was professed in 1893. With the exception of twelve years spent at St. Vincent de Paul Hospital, Brockville, the long life of this venerable religious was devoted to the care of the aged at the House of Providence or the children at St. Mary’s of the Lake.
Although confined to the Infirmary for several years she was able to take care of herself until four years ago. Since coming here to the new Marian Infirmary from the House of Providence in 1954, she spent all her time in her room without any desire to move around even in a wheel-chair. Sister was very little trouble, a good patient, and most appreciative of any kindness, but preferred waiting on herself as much as possible. She was completely deaf, and would often imagine hearing things without any foundation, but liked to read, and found pleasure in short stories when her eyes were not troubling her.
In 1953 Sister had the privilege of observing her sixtieth anniversary the Diamond Jubilee of her religious profession. For a number of years she had been the senior member of our community.
God blessed this good soul with a remarkably long life in religion, and we pray her reward will be great.
On the morning of the funeral our chaplain, Rev. Father Flurey offered Solemn Requiem Mass for the repose of her soul. Several members of the clergy assisted at the Mass. Burial was in St. Mary’s Cemetery. Rev. Father Flurey recited the prayers at the grave