On October 24, 1939, Sister Mary Gertrude (Mary Murphy) died at the House of Providence, Kingston.
The greater part of Sister’s religious life was spent at the House of Providence, in the discharge of the various duties of that institution. She also spent some time at the Convent in Arnprior.
Sister had a bright, cheerful disposition. She was noted for her kindness to every one with whom she came in contact. Her last years were filled with suffering chiefly from weak eye sight, until she became almost totally blind.
Prior to her death which came unexpectedly, Sister bore her trials with patient fortitude, meriting, as we hope by her exemplary, virtuous life, and deep spirit of faith, a glorious eternal reward.