Sister Mary Julia Sommers

Annie Sommers
1903 - 1927

By the death of Sister Mary Julia at St. Vincent de Paul Hospital, the Sisters of Providence lost one of their most promising young members. Every artifice that medical skill and attention could devise was employed to stay the precious life of this dear young Sister, but all without avail. She departed on the 16th inst. after a lingering illness borne with the most admirable patience and resignation. A few days before her death, when asked if she would be willing to exchange places with one of her companions, who was then in perfect health, she replied very sweetly that she would not, manifesting by her every look that she was animated by higher aspirations. Her remains were transferred to the Mother House the same evening.

Sister was taken ill in January last, and thought at first no anxiety was felt for her recovery, the disease must have been slowly advancing, as subsequent events proved. A few months ago, the doctor advised that she be moved to the hospital, in the hope that the change and possibly other treatment might prove beneficial, but such was not to follow.

Anna Somers, as she was known in the world, was born in Chewlah, Washington. A couple of years later her parents moved to Heisler, Alta., where she hereafter lived. Her mother dying early, she was placed under the care of the Sisters of Providence who had a Convent not far distant. In December 1922, then nineteen years of age, she entered the Novitiate of the Sisters of Providence, Kingston. Possessed of a cheerful disposition, she won the affection of her companions and the esteem of her Superiors. After the usual term of probation, she made her First Profession, pronouncing Temporary vows on the 6th of September, 1924. Her Perpetual Vows she made during her illness on September 6th last.

Of her family, her parents have gone, her father dying two years ago, one brother and seven sisters survive her, all settled in the vicinity of Alberta. One sister, Mrs. George Forster, was present with her for a few days before her death.

The funeral was held on the 18th inst. A Solemn Requiem Mass was offered by His Grace Most Reverend M.J. Spratt, D.D., assisted by Rev. R.J. Coyle as High Priest, Rev. G. Koster, C.S.S.R., St. Mary’s College, Brockville, as deacon, Rev. J.J. Feeney, Brockville, Sub-deacon, and Rev. E.M. Leacy, Master of Ceremonies, and Rev. F.D. Hyland, Rector of St. Mary’s Cathedral.