BY VERONICA STIENBURG, ARCHIVIST
The Archives received an exciting new treasure in April: the first patient register of St. Vincent de Paul Hospital in Brockville.
The Register documents the patients treated at the hospital from November 28th, 1887 to January 9th, 1893. Why is this document important? St. Vincent de Paul Hospital was the very first hospital that the Sisters of Providence opened and this register documents the first years of the hospital when it was located in a house on Schofield Hill and the first few months of its operation at its permanent location of 42 Garden Street. The Archives does not have the annals for the first five years of the mission in Brockville, so this register helps to fill in some of the missing history of the hospital’s beginnings.