The Motherhouse and its grounds

The Motherhouse and its grounds have changed a lot since 1932, but are still very recognizable! These four photographs show how the landscaping in front of the Motherhouse and the Motherhouse itself have changed over the years.

The Motherhouse, circa 1943 – notice that the driveway is not paved, the central lawn has no trees, shrubs or flowers, the administration wing wasn’t built yet, and the statue of St. Joseph is visible on the far right, in the same place it is today.

A more recent photo, taken in the late 1990s, before the driveway was raised up. Notice how tall the tree to the left of the Vincentian room is, and notice that the statue of St. Joseph is in the same location as it was in the 1943 photo, and of course the Administration wing, built in 1964, is now visible.

This photo was probably taken circa 1960. The basic landscaping layout of these trees is still there, but the trees are much taller now!

We don’t have a date for this photo, but it is probably from the early 1950s. Notice the garden wall off to the right.